President Biden: Making Promises, and Keeping Them
On the campaign trail and into the second year of his presidency, Joe Biden has promised to be the most pro-union, pro-worker president in history. His actions are matching his words.
“President Biden has taken significant and historic steps to promote, protect, and enhance the rights of working people, including IBEW members,” said IBEW IO President Lonnie Stephenson in a statement citing a long list of first-year accomplishments:
- Perhaps President Biden’s biggest accomplishment is that he signed into law the single largest infrastructure bill in American history. This once-in-a-generation investment will put tens of thousands of people to work in good, union jobs modernizing the electric grid, repairing and expanding the vital transportation services, and creating the reduced-carbon energy solutions that will power our economy well into the 21st century and beyond.
- Appointing a union member to lead the Department of Labor
- Creating the first-ever White House Task Force on Worker Organizing and Empowerment
- Ordering the federal government to spend taxpayer dollars on goods made by American workers
- Signing dozens of executive orders that promote worker-friendly policies, including those that create goodjobs in the energy sector
- Signing into law the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, giving working families the financial support they needed to make it through the pandemic
- Championing and signing the Butch Lewis Emergency Pension Plan Relief Act, saving pensions for millions of workers and ensuring a retirement with dignity
“On behalf of the IBEW’s 775,000 active and retired members, I applaud President Biden on these achievements and thank him for prioritizing the needs of working families,” said Stephenson.